Friday, September 21, 2007

Why I Run....

I run because I need to feel deeply. I don't like to spend day after day just shuffling along with the average Joes. I need depth of emotions, soulful experiences, powerful situations and deep moments of appreciation. It took me a long time to understand this....it's why I love being a nurse of folks trying to live comfortably through the last years of life. It's why I love supervising the nurses that give hard to these fascinating folks.

And I need to remind myself of that. It came back to me strong this past week. I was off one week of work to spend time with my Mom visiting from NJ, and to share the holiday meaningfully with my family. It was a great week---just quality time with those I love most dearly. But I missed my work family too. So it was rewarding getting back to work this past week.

But my running has been disappointing me. I fell off the wagon, so to speak. I forgot why I run. I've been following my wonderful Coach's training program, and I'm loving it, but I started to get very worried that I won't be able to do the Chicago Marathon under my goal of 5 hours.

So Coach Lisa had to shake me up--I got my pep talk. I remember now why I run. And I will run--for my depth of feelings will get me to do what I need to do so that I can be awash with those emotions throughout those 5 hours. Just watch me!!

9 comments:

runliarun said...

Oh, this is so beautiful.

Jack said...

Enjoy your marathon, I'll be watching you :-)

Anonymous said...

glad I stumbled across your blog! keep up the good work!!!

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Sounds like your head and heart are now in line with your body and training - you are going to have a great race!
Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com

Unknown said...

Lovely, Lora! It's nice to have the reawakening and remembering why it is we run.

MNFirefly said...

Lora, you KNOW that you can do it. Believe it in yourself and focus. You are going to do great!

RunBubbaRun said...

I know you will do great at the Marathon.. Whatever time it may bring ya.

It's sometimes just being out there and doing the things we love that counts.

And you know trail running is another realm of "Zen" state all togther.

You know you can do it!!! I'll be out there with the other thousands of people as well.

Deb said...

What a soulful post. I love it!

Sam said...

Run a mile for me in the marathon. I'll be cheering you on and we can both enjoy all of the fun people.