Sunday, July 30, 2006

Weekend Stuff




I wish my dog was a running dog, but I guess I'll just have to accept that mostly he justs wants to hang and cuddle.

The plan for the Half-Marathon Training Group called for a 7-mile run on Saturday. I emailed the participants re: carrying water, wearing a cap, dressing properly and bringing nutrition. So what did I forget to tell them??? NO DRINKING ALCOHOL THE NIGHT BEFORE!

I was impressed cause one gal confessed to her alcohol consuption evening before we started and asked if I thought she should go with the run/walk group because of it. I said absolutely, and I'm sure the reason she survived the run was because she came clean. Not true for the 31 yr old male runner. He bonked at 4 miles--dizzy, nauseous, chills-- and when I tried to call a cab to have him brought in, a nearby physician said he needed an ambulance. One was called and the poor guy wanted to hide in the deepest hole. I told him to just get his blood pressure checked and if it was ok, I'd walk him in. Which is exactly what happened. I believe he learned his lesson!

On Sunday I had a real treat. One of the guys on the ultrarunning web group I'm on met up with me to show me a wonderful trail nearby. Seems the Des Plaines River Trail runs 30-miles, all the way up to Wisconsin. Although the temp said 80 degrees when we started, we were ready. (Well, actually, I should have brought a second water bottle, but now I know better!) It was beautiful--some runners and bikers were out, but not nearly as congested as the small trail near my home.

We completed a 9-mile run, enjoyed chatting with each other and the peaceful surroundings and I'm thrilled to know a place close by where I can escape. He had an extra Diet Coke in his car which he shared and I discovered why Coke is so popular after a long run. Refreshing and calming for the stomach.

Three of my running girlfriends are planning on running the Milwaukee Marathon as their 20-miler run and asked me to come along (Todd is doing that too, I think). I said yes not knowing it's a pajama-party overnight thingy!! Luckily these wild girls won't be able to party the night before (in all fairness one only plays bartender) but it should be lots of fun. They want to try out the Penguins run/walk theory and see how it works. So I'm game. Should be interesting--I'll let ya know!!

12 comments:

Todd said...

omg. I am glad I read oyur blog first before I wrote mine. Now I have more for my blog. Lora please forgive me.

Todd said...

omg. I am glad I read oyur blog first before I wrote mine. Now I have more for my blog. Lora please forgive me.

onepinkfuzzy said...

mmm, sounds like a fun weekend.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Finding new and cool routes around where you live is the best.

Oh yeah, no drinking the night before a run is VERY good advice.

Stay tuned...

Cris said...

What's that Endurox stuff in the photo?

Travis said...

thanks for hooking me up with a place to run. I ended up coming down with something and was not able to get out there, but its nice to know someone was willing to help!!! Looks like you had a great weekend. Nice job on the run!

Neese said...

yeah pajama party!, i was saying recently it's too bad ya can't have one as adults every now and then. sounds like a great weekend, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I hope there is going to be no alcohol at this pajama party. And yes coke is quite wonderful during an ultra. Of course it is not guaranteed to make you run faster.

Mike said...

Lora,
Sounds like you are getting in some great runs!
On the coke though, you need the real stuff post run! None of that diet crapola- the sugary carbs will replenish those empty glycogen stores!

MNFirefly said...

Sounds like people need to learn first about drinking before a long run. I am sure that they learned their lesson fast.

Jack said...

Alcohol and running don't mix. This reminds me of my military days - Monday morning was alway, ummm, entertaining. It was amazing how the (mostly) younger soldiers thought they could stay up all night pounding beers (or worse) and show up for a hard 5 miles at 6 a.m. Of course I was a Sergeant and led the run, you know I didn't give them any slack ;-)

*jeanne* said...

It would never occur to me people needed to be told not to drink the night before a run...

Such a babe in the woods, I am.